12/9/07

Training to be soldiers....

Being so deprived of a good morning skate under the sun, both me and Christine made our way to ECP. Weather was afterall kind to us, despite the occasional showers for the past week.

We were happily chatting. Christine was kind of proud, lamenting every now and then that she wasn't falling. But i guess lucky has limited credit. Nearing the edge of a slope i saw a family of skaters on the other side, so i cautioned Christine while i initiated the gradient, in hope of getting attention of the fellas down there. I was soon experiencing the speed, sea breeze whizzing past my oily face, and all of a sudden i heard a YELP followed by a thud behind me.

I knew Christine had fallen, and i cornered to make a turn back to where she fell. By the time i got to her, blots of blood exploded from within the grazed portion of her butt ( Opps! ). As the red liquid oozed, i saw Christine biting her own teeth, eyes winching in excruciating pain.

Lousiness sipped into me.. there's nothing i could do... Felt like i was the cause of the fall. Maybe if i hadn't sped forward, she could have had some form of confidence in my presence.

Times like this make me weak. No, maybe weak is the wrong word. My emotions will get stirred up every time i see a loved one or a friend got injured or hurt because of something i did . A month back my Dearie couldnt negotiate the slope down the KPE entrance and bruised her face upon impact with the side concrete slabs( same situation, i skated in front of her to assure that the slope was conquerable ). That time, lousiness saw me weak and naked. I really hate it man...

A few hours later i would be putting on my No. 4 to report for reservist. I'm kind of lost touch with green, especially when the last in camp training was close to 1.5 years back. No body wants to return for reservist, especially when it meant giving up your daily routine of money making / enjoyment for 5 to 14 days of regimentation and lack of sleep in the wilderness / training area. Ask any of my men, and the only thing that keeps them going on is the thought of meeting up with fellow soldiers who started out serving their NSF days together.

I am not a role model of what an officer should be.... I curse, swear, do short cuts and sometimes set inappropriate examples to my fellow soldiers. All i can say is that i commit to responsibilities that ensure my men wont get into trouble. I wont die for my country , that's for sure.

The only thing that keeps me focused on in camp is the very thought of protecting my loved ones. Spare me the "DUTY HONOUR COUNTRY". Give me my 68 men and i will do my best to get every single soul out safe and alive, be it training or the real crunch......

Probably its my friends and loved ones that kept me going on strong in life.

That's quite some thoughts before in camp. Need to catch sleep. See you all folks out there while i fire fight shit for the next 5 days!

No comments: