11/9/07

Where was i when i was 16?

A fruitful Friday passed by just like that. Time flies when you are really enjoying every single moment of it.

720pm, Friday : I whizzed past the steel doors of the passenger lift that ran through the spines of Admiralty MSCP. Was quite surprised to see Clarence, one of the team Micro boys,because i have not seen him in action since late September. As soon as he stopped his routine, i greeted him.

He smiled at me as if he was equally excited to see me. It did not take me long to realize that he had just cleared his Os and was happily dancing on 8 wheels.

"Hey man, finished Os liao right? "

"Yah, sibei shoik ah. Yay!!!!!"

It daunted upon me as the words of this 16 year old sank into my head. What was i doing after my Os? Where was i enjoying my free time after the major exams?

In that split second, my mind fell into a trance.............

Red Cross House, this building behind the present park mall, felt like my 2nd home 10 years back;I was a very "uniform grouped" person, who loves to assume this instructor role and share with others what i have learned in the First Aid Duty Department. Every weekends during my upper secondary school days were spent attending courses on footdrill, leadership and first aid duty management. Semester breaks meant camps, first aid duties, red cross committee meetings and MORE CAMPS! I was from an all boys school, and combined school activities were quite a motivation for hormone raging teens like me....

Looking back, i thanked my uniformed group cca commitment in making me who i am today: a very vocal and outgoing person who does not hesitate to voice out his personal fears and share with others what he knows.

As i stood on the smooth cemented floors of the MSCP, watching clarence demonstrating his slalom kungfu, i cant help but wonder what kind of a person i would be if i had chosen to commit to some form of discipline 10 years back.

Probably i felt insecure in that sense, not having some 'specialty' sport that i can claim with pride that i can do very well in.

Ok, maybe that's why i am penning this blog entry in the first place.

1 comment:

Alvin said...

if you have a chance to relive your days, would you choose a different path (eg, pick up a specialty sport?)? i doubt you would, as i think you are happy with what you have now. you have strengths that others wish to have. so look at what you have, not what you don have!