5/31/07

Guitarist

Sometimes, i wish how life would be if i hadnt join CJC odac and persisted on my passion for guitar.

Just this afternoon my dear brought me to a guitar shop in Peninsula shopping centre. I had subconsciously told quite alot of pple that i wanna pick up guitar again after my grad trip.

I found myself standing in front of rows of semi acoustics, ovation, 12 strings, banjos and classical guitars ( heavy metal and lead guitaring aint my cup of milo ). The boss naturally treated me like a newbie to stringed instruments because apparently i had this WHAT-IS- HAPPENING look..........

In my mind, i was recollecting thosedays when i donned my CJ uniform hanging around guitar shops in Thomson plaza, singing my teen life away with my buddies. There was Jason Cheong the yandao man ( lady killer of all time),my old time secondary school friends A and M and many others.... I think i spent quite some time in class after lessons behaving like a drunken peanut( minus the actual booze, that is).

My interest in Guitar started 11 years ago, when i was a sec 3 quiet boy. Back then, one of my female red cross friend wondered y i cant play the guitar. And so by some funny ego fueled motivation, i picked up the instrument and started strumming... in front of TV...at void decks... during gatherings... and so it went on.

Guitaring saw me through many phases of my life. It was my best buddy when i studied for Os, and while i had no lady friends to colour my life, i would close my eyes and pretend that there was this big pool of audience in front of me, pleading me to strum it with my fingers. Well, i wasnt very outdoor inclined back then. Almost went obese. With no money, no female companionship and NO steady hobby, guitar was like the God sent solution to my doubts, woes and sorrows.......................

Standing in front of those instruments right now, I could almost felt myself holding my breath; This sensation of excitement as i layed my hands on a 12 string guitar. I always fancied a 12 string. A simple strum on a major and it gives you an array of richness from within the hollows of the wooden frame. Its truly a rythmist's favourite pick.

I could feel this blanket of tranquility as i started to hum and strum.... The boss seemed alarm when i finally managed my momentum on the instrument. He went like... "OOOoooo... No bad". There were 2 more ladies in the shop choosing guitar as well. They apparently froze on their spot, seemingly allured by the charms of the 12 string instrument.

I thought i was spell bound by my own art. I felt this unspoken sense of belonging...like all these years i was A LOST SHEEP,moving on with the crowd, going to a junior college aimlessly, doing a course in uni I WAS NOT THE LEAST BIT INTERESTED. Every now and then for the past 10 years, there was this voice in me telling me to dwell in arts and music. I just couldnt follow that voice.

I stopped, wanting to try on other guitars. Somehow i already had an answer to why i came to the shop today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well-written post!