6/28/09

St Paul the Musical

My wife's cousin in law jio-ed us for an evening of musical in NUS UCC( University Cultural Centre ) last Friday. I had nothing on and conveniently agreed to the invite to watch Paul the musical with my wife.

I had heard about the Parish of St Mary promoting this play during Sunday Masses but i never thought of getting the tickets back then. On my way down to UCC that evening i thought that i would get more acquainted with the biblical aspect of the play. Simple as that.

I never realized that i was about to get more than what i expected out of this musical..

While waiting for my wife's cousins to turn up with our tickets, i bumped into Nadia, a girl whom i worked with as an assistant teacher in Julia Gabriel back in 2006. Alright, the world is small; its been close to 3 years since i met anyone from JG.

Nadia: Hey PING( my nick in JG ) how come you are here?

Me: Erm... nothing to do, and since i managed to get the tickets on a subsidized rate, might as well just...

Nadia: Hey you know? Pix is acting in the musical???

Me: Huh...?

Nadia: He's playing as Paul...

That's how our short 1minute catch up went. I ended up feeling so silly and embarassed. Pix was also my fellow colleague in JG. We worked together quite closely , me as the assistant teacher mainly involved in music playing while Pix was the teacher doing most of the educating. Having partnered Pix for more than a semester in the school, i found him to be a very articulating person, with a very keen interest in drama and arts.

I quickly flipped through the programme booklet( it was on sale for 5 bucks...i didnt buy it initially; one of the Friars Fr John Wong gave his to us ) and was so surprised to see that familiar boyish image appearing as the main cast of the musical.

After the first segment of the musical, my wife and i decided to shift to a higher spot from our current position to have a better view of the stage. Towards the end of the final segment of the show, i was stunned to see my JC principal; Stunned because she actually came up to me and wore a smile, trying her best to remember my name

SML: Erm Chiam Peng is it?

Me: Siang Ping Siang Ping...Long time no see Ma'am ... i'm surprised that you could still remember me!!!!

SML: I remembered giving you a 2nd chance

She meant to say that she offered me a 2nd chance to do my A levels again back in 2000. That's like 9 years ago...

I must have been a very talk-about character back in my school back then... aiyoh =X

No comments: